Thursday, July 28, 2011

Well it has been a while, so here is an update on my recent adventures.

June 25-July 2nd, Sara and I went on a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean.


The ship was called "Oasis of the Seas" and is currently the largest cruise ship in the world. It is amazing the amount of stuff that they fit on this thing. They had 2 rock walls, 2 wave machines, miniature golf, zip line, a park with real trees and plants, carousel, ice skating rink, too many pools to count, a so much more. We were not bored, and could probably have spent another couple weeks exploring the whole ship.

Our ports of call were Haiti, Jamaica and Cozumel. The private beach in Haiti was nice and we just spent the day hanging out on the beach and in the water. In Jamaica, we went on a horseback riding excursion and had a really good time.


I've been to these ports before on different cruises and I knew at Cozumel we HAD to go on a snorkel tour. The best water I've ever seen is in Cozumel. It's so clear, bright blue, and warm.


At our assigned dinner table, we met another couple, Melissa and Justin, and we spent most of the week on the boat hanging out with them.

Getting off the ship at the end of the cruise sucked. But It had to be done. We rented a car and drove from Fort Lauderdale to Naples to visit my Grandpa. It was an awesome trip and I want to do it all over again. Hopefully it got Sara hooked on cruising as well.

The weekend after I got home from the cruise, I flew to Canada for a weekend of mountain biking with my friend Brian. He took a few weeks off and drove from San Diego up to Whistler to ride the mountian bike park at the ski resort. He went alone so I decided id fly up to meet him.

I flew in friday night and got to Vancouver around midnight. Brian picked me up at the airport and we drove 2 hours north to Whistler where he had a campsite. I flew my bike up there but while I was putting it together in the morning (it had to be taken apart to fit in the box for the airplane) my rear shock broke. This "forced" me into renting a full downhill bike. I wasn't super disappointed because the downhill bike I rented was 100 times better for the super technical downhill trail on Whistler mountain.


In both Saturday and Sunday, I spent 16 hours riding bikes. Saturday we spent about 6.5 hours riding the bike park, followed by a 1.5 hour cross country trail ride. Then Sunday I spent a full 8 hours riding the bike park. The bike park was better than anything I've ever ridden before. Every trail was built up with jumps, berms, drops and bridges.


Vancouver and Whistler are beautiful. I would love to live there....but only in the summer. I'm not sure I would be able to survive the average January high temp of 1 degree Fahrenheit.

Olympic village and bobsled area at Whistler.

I flew back home early Monday morning and was back at work before noon.


0 comments:

Post a Comment