Monday, March 26, 2012

I did a nice day hike on the PCT this past Saturday. I started near Warner Springs around mile 109.5 of the PCT and hiked to the road near Barrel Springs at mile 101 then back to the car.

I was mostly exposed open fields with cows and lots of tiny tiny flowers. I thought it may be pretty chilly, but with no wind and exposed open fields, it was hot. I had on a black synthetic shirt, and the sun beating down on it made it super hot. Black would be a bad choice for the PCT. The shirt I was planning on using sort of a dark blue, and this day hike made me reconsider that choice. I may want to try to find a lighter colored shirt to keep me a little cooler in the sun.

I also realized I need a lighter baseball hat, my head was getting quite warm and the hat I was using. A more breathable running hat may be on the list of purchases before I leave. The desert heat is going to suck.



Also, I ordered a bunch of mini bottles. I have been in the process of filling them up with sunscreen, hand sanitizer, Aquamira, etc. I plan on shipping them out in my resupply boxes. That way I don't have to carry a whole bottle of sunscreen the entire time or have to buy a bottle of sunscreen, then ship what I didn't use to the next town. It will be much easier this way hopefully.


This is my Aquamira water treatment divided into mini bottles. Aquamira is chlorine dioxide which is the same chemical used for municipal water treatment. There are two solutions, you must first mix about 10 drops separately in the cap of the bottle, after the two mix for about 5 minutes, you can then pour the mixture in your water, wait 30 minutes, then drink. It may take some time before you can drink the water, but it is one of the lightest methods to disinfect water on the trail.

Less than a month until I hit the trail. Can't wait.

0 comments:

Post a Comment