Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Well, it has been a few years since I have posted to my blog. 970 days to be exact, and for 970 days I have thought about getting back on trail for another thru-hike. The wait is over and I am happy to announce that in one month I will be thru-hiking the Continental Divide Trail!



I will not be alone, my girlfriend Heather will be joining me. She's strong and tough and was kicking my butt up the climbs last weekend on our first practice hike. This is her first thru-hike and I'm so excited to be sharing a thru-hike with her. Check out her blog here: https://wileyh23.wordpress.com/

Heather on our practice hike
We will be traveling southbound starting at the Canadian border around June 16th or 17th. The CDT is about 2800 miles and is a MUCH different hike than the PCT. There are different challenges on the CDT, specifically navigation is much more important. The CDT is only about 70% trail and many alternate routes exist. It is more of a "choose your own adventure" type trail than the PCT which was one single nicely groomed trail the entire length. We plan on finishing at the Mexico border around November 1st. 

Northbounders have already started the trail, but recent Colorado snow has slowed their progress. Luckily, at this point, Glacier National Park (where we will be starting) is having a lower than average snow year.

Glacier National Park
My gear list is posted, it is very similar to my PCT gear list. I've actually reused a lot of my gear from the PCT (the stuff I could get the smell out of). The main difference is carrying a 2 person shelter for Heather and I. 

Cold morning in the 20's, warmed by hot coffee
At this moment, Heather and I have our gear almost set. Just a few small things are left to get. Our resupply schedule is also posted, but is still a work in progress. The planning in the next couple weeks is to get our resupply schedule set and start buying food and resupply items. Our first box will need to be shipped around June 6th. 

I will post again when I have more to update. I am so excited, but still have much planning to do. The time is going to fly by. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment