Tuesday, January 24, 2012

For a thru-hiker, major weight savings can be had with the "Big 3". The Big 3 is comprised of the three heaviest items in an ultralighter's pack: sleeping bag, tent, and backpack.

This past week, I've made a change to two of my Big 3, and have trimmed just shy of 2 POUNDS off my base weight. That's HUGE! Here is a break down of my Big 3:

Sleeping bag:

Western Mountaineering Ultralight 20 Degree.

Weight: 30.1oz (with stuff sack)

I haven't changed my sleeping bag choice very much. I originally thought about a Marmot 15 degree bag that weighed around 38oz. But the Western Mountaineering bag is about a half pound lighter and is one of the lightest 20 degree bags out there.

I haven't done a TON of research on sleeping bags, because I found this to be one of the most popular sleeping bags. But you never know, I could very easily find another bag that would save me some oz.....




Tent:

ZPacks Hexamid

Weight: 11.3oz (with stakes)

I discussed tents in my last post. So lets just say that this was one of the 2 items I bought in the last week and allowed me to shave a pound over the last tent I planned on using.

Backpack:

I originally wanted to go with my Osprey Exos 58 liter pack. Its weight was around 36oz after I did a good amount of trimming of extra straps and the top.

But after some research, I found the Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus. Weight: 20.5oz. Once again, I took a pound off of my base weight.

Big companies like Osprey don't necessarily make the lightest gear. Companies like Zpacks and Gossamer Gear were founded by previous thru-hikers who wanted a more ultralight version of the gear that the big companies produce. So the gear they make are perfect for me because they are designed specifically for ultralight thru-hiking. These companies are so small that they are mostly based out of the founder's garages.

I ordered this pack the other day a it comes in a few days. I plan to try it out on a hike this weekend.




The weight of my Big 3 is a total of 62oz (or 3lbs 14oz). This fits right in the range of an "ultralight" hiker.

2 comments:

  1. I know some of the weight savings come from lack of features and modern materials. That pack for example looks pared down. Are you sacrificing some durability for the lightweight performance?

    Also, REI is having a PCT Presentation Feb. 26, 2012 6:00-8:00p at their San Diego store if you or any of your readers are interested.
    http://www.rei.com/event/34642/session/43389

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. There is definitely a downgrade in durability in this pack. I got it yesterday. I will have to post a review on it. So far, I think I like it!

      Side note, Colin, call me....you're number doesn't seem to be working....

      Delete