Friday, June 08, 2012

25 miles plus 1 miles side trail to camp.

Today was hot. The trail was completely exposed, but we were going in and out of trees the entire day.

As the day went on, thunderclouds were forming over the bigger mountains, one of them being Mt. Whitney.

About 3 miles from camp, it started raining. We had a good amount of thunder and lightning as well, but it was a few miles from us and wasn't a threat.

We got to crabtree meadows around 5:15 and it was raining pretty good. Occasionally the rain would turn to hail. We set up our shelters and tried to stay dry.

2 years ago I was hiking the John Muir Trail and it was pouring rain in this exact same spot. Mt. Whitney must not like me being there.

About 45 minutes after getting to camp, the rain stopped, then the clouds dispersed and the sun returned.

Rock Lobster is heading up Mt. Whitney tomorrow. I know 2 hikers ahead of me named Breeze and Chimichanga. They left 24 hours before I did from Kennedy Meadows and were planning on climbing Whitney. That would put them a few miles ahead of me right now. I plan on catching them tomorrow morning and hiking the rest of the way with them. I know they are fast hikers. But if I don't catch them I will basically be hiking the rest of the Sierra alone. There aren't many other PCT hikers out in the Sierra right now.

It will be an early start tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

  1. Trailblazing!
    Leading the way, is that not just claaassic Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. breeze's mom (carleen)June 11, 2012 at 5:12 PM

    Hi Dan,
    Been enjoying your posts! Especially since my son, Breeze, does not journal! So, I've been able to follow along fairly closely with your posts - thank you! & best wishes with the rest of your hike.

    ReplyDelete