Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Today we decided to take the morning to do some town chores before we hit the trail around noon.

We first went to breakfast. Then went to the store where Heather and I shipped a box and picked that up. Next we stopped at the post office to send home our micro spikes. There is no more need for them in the next section.

We went back to the room and organized our food. This section is 6 days, and our packs were heavy!

The trail at the start was a lot like how it ended yesterday. Not very defined with a lot of trails/paths going in different directions. I had to pull out the CDT app on my phone to make sure we were on the right trail. Guthook's CDT app is awesome. It has the route, maps, and waypoints along the trail. It is very useful. You can click on a waypoint (water source, road, etc.) and it will tell you how many miles down the trail it is from your location.

The trail for most of the afternoon was very overgrown. Heather, Andy and I have named these sections "the jungle". We don't really like the jungle....

The picture I attached to this post is a perfect example of the jungle. The trail goes right through there, but it is impossible to see. It can also be up to 4 feet tall. Pretty brutal. We probably had about 8+ miles of jungle walking today.

We finally made it down to Marias Pass. We are at a campground, but there is a highway and train tracks very nearby. It won't matter. I'll be asleep in no time anyways.

3 comments:

  1. Cool to see someone made a useful app, I'll check it out. I'd mail you a machete, but I think you'd be upset with added weight :-).

    Do you have a spreadsheet you can email me with your mail stops? I know you have all this covered, so think tossable motivational postcards. Don't worry, I won't send you anvils, unless requested, ie. you see some coyote later on in the desert southwest. beep beep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin, the resupply schedule under the CDT 2015 pull down menu has the addresses and dates where you can send the anvil.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete