Friday, July 03, 2015

Today was another day of nonstop climbs. It was also hot.

I love my umbrella. It was exposed for a good portion of it and there was no shade. The umbrella really helped keep me cool by blocking the sun. Heather had hers out for a long time too. So glad I added those to the equipment list.

Water was again an issue today. We had a stretch about 14.5 miles with 3 huge climbs to get over with no water sources. And of course it was the last 14.5 miles of the day. So Heather and I ended up both carrying 4 liters. The first climb was tough with that much weight. But the climbs got easier since our packs got lighter. By the time we reached the final water source, we both had less than a half liter left.

These last 4 days have really been the toughest days of hiking I think I've ever done. The amount of elevation gain each day has been insane. The lack of water also doesn't help. I don't think any stretch on the PCT was this difficult (but maybe I just blocked it out of my mind). I am so impressed with how Heather is doing. She is such a strong hiker. She can power up the climbs and then dance to her music on the downhills. Things couldn't be going any better.

We are excited to get to town tomorrow. I think the plan is to get a very early start to do the last 19 miles to the road. After this stretch we all deserve a zero day on Sunday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment