Wednesday, July 08, 2015

This morning had a good amount of dirt road walking. But a single track took us over the first major climb. When we got to the top, I checked for service and saw that I had 4G. I turned on my Tour de France app and watched the end of today's stage while we all took a break. So glad I didn't miss today's stage, it was a good one!

Later in the day we took an alternate so we wouldn't have to do a huge climb over Thunderbolt peak. As we were near the end of the alternate, we heard a few claps of thunder and saw a dark cloud over the peak. Good thing we didn't go over that! Thunderbolt peak was sure was earning its name.

Once back on the CDT we had another climb. Looking at the maps, I saw that it was called Electric Peak. About halfway up, we turned a corner in the trail and ended up face to face with some dark clouds. Thunder immediately began up near the peak. Short Stack and I decided just to wait where we were and not continue up any higher. The storm lasted about 20-30 minutes or so. Once it stopped we continued up and around the peak.

We had been leap frogging with HikerBox and Heartbreaker all day today and we are camping with them tonight. No sign of Crosby though tonight. He probably started hiking with a few other groups we saw today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment