Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Sunday, July 26

We slept in and relaxed at the hotel for a couple hours in the morning. We didn't dare go back to waste our time at the restaurant for breakfast, so we ate leftovers and snacks.

Around 10 we called Sam and he gladly agreed to take us back to the trailhead. I forgot to mention that Bannock Pass, where the CDT crosses, is 15 miles on a rarely traveled dirt road. If Sam wasn't helping hikers get to and from the trail, we could be spending hours waiting for a hitch in. Sam is a lifesaver.

I have a gear update. My Gossamer Gear Mariposa backpack was hurting my back for the last few weeks. I couldn't figure out why. I used the same pack on the PCT and loved it. After some research, I realized the pack I had was too small. It is a Medium, but apparently their medium pack is a small in other brands. Heather's Osprey Exos pack is a small and has the same torso dimensions as my Gossamer Gear medium. Weird.

A few days ago I ordered a new pack online. Instead of the large Mariposa, I went with a ULA Ohm 2.0. ULA is one of the most popular brands on trail. I've always wanted to try one so I just decided to try it now.

I had the backpack shipped to Leadore so this is my first day with it. And so far I really like it. It is super comfortable. The hipbelt is bigger than the Mariposa and the back padding is nicer. I almost want to say more comfortable than my PCT Gossamer Gear pack. It has only been one day, so we'll see in a couple weeks.

The trail was nice today. A couple big climbs, but we were on open grasslands and had amazing views all day.

We even got in 19 miles. Not bad for the short day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment