Saturday, May 12, 2012

6.5 miles to hwy 18, resupplied, then 8 miles to camp.

Well last night was a little crazy. As I was sleeping, Prudence and Nathan walked by around 11 and said they were going to keep going. Brendan also hiked by about 15 minutes later.

In the morning, I turned on my phone and got a text from Brendan saying he was at hwy 18 already! He had hiked until late in the night and managed to get in a 31 mile day!

I passed Prudence and Nathan in the morning. They had made it a few miles past where I was camping. I then got a text from Brendan saying he was already in Big Bear. So the plan was to hitch a ride in and meet up.

As I got to hwy 18 there were 3 others trying to hitch a ride. I crossed the street and the next car pulled right over. We all fit in the car and headed the 5 miles to town.

After picking up my resupply package I found Nathan and Brendan and we went to breakfast at the Grizzly Manor cafe. It was awesome. It is a small little place and the people working there loved hikers. Even one lady who was there eating with her daughter was very interested in our trip. 

We all ate, and the lady came by our table, wished us luck for the trip and left. After she left the waiter told us that she had paid for our meals!

After food we went to the library to use the computers. Then to vons to buy a few things. As we were packing our stuff outside, a car came up asking if we wanted a ride. The man was a day hiker who lives near big bear. He said he could take us to hwy 18 where hitching back to the trail would be easier.

He dropped us off, we walked about 50ft to the highway and immediately a dude in a truck asked if we wanted a ride to the trail. We didn't have to stick out our thumbs even once and we were back at the trail.

Hitching has actually been easier than I thought so far. People who live around the PCT know about the trail and really like to hear your story.

We hiked another 8 miles and now it is time for bed. 9:00pm is hiker midnight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment