Monday, May 14, 2012

20.5 miles

The day started out great. The 6 miles out of deep creek were easy. When we got to hwy 173 there were a few trail angels there with a big table full of chips, cookies, ice cream, hot dogs, and soda. It was pretty awesome. I sat there for a while but knew if I waited too long the heat would be waiting for me once I left.

Sure enough, the rest of the day was super hot. The trail weaved in and out of these canyons that blocked any breeze to help with the temperature. I took a couple breaks in the very few areas of shade.

There was an elementary school class that was doing trail work on a section. The gave me cookies and water.

There was one uphill that was very hot. When I finally made it to the top, in front of me was Silverwood Lake along with an awesome strong breeze. It felt great! I was starting to enjoy the trail again when all of a sudden a bee stung flew into the gap between my sunglasses and my hat and stung me on the forehead. I brushed him off and he flew around to the back of my head and probably tried to sting me again. But I found his stinger on my hand after I brushed him off.

My forehead began to swell up. It isn't huge, but it is definitely noticeable. Ill see how it is in the morning.

Right now I'm camped with a few other hikers at a picnic area on the lake. 14 miles until the McDonald's.

0 comments:

Post a Comment