Monday, May 21, 2012

24 miles.

Today we made the trek from one trail angel house to another. 

We left early to beat the heat again. There wasn't much shade and we hiked fast to get 17 miles to what is called the Oasis Cache. By 11:30am we were there. It was a shady spot under some trees, the trees were decorated with stuffed animals, blow up flowers, skeletons  and a big plastic Frankenstein. There were a bunch of chairs, water and a cooler. The cooler had 4 beers left and the 3 of us each had one. Mostly because drinking something other than water is always a treat.

The cache is set up by the Andersons. The Andersons are were we planned on getting to tonight.

We spent a few hours at the cache and then decided to get going on the remaining 7 miles.

We were all wearing headphones but still hiking together. We got to one section where there was a small rock cliff, we all paused slightly to look at it then continued on. About 10ft passed I feel Samwise pushing on my backpack and I hear him yelling "bees!".

I saw a few flying around my head and we all start sprinting down the trail. I was wearing my bandana as a neck sun shade under my hat. I feel one land on my bandana and I brush it off. We ran probably 1/4 of a mile down the trail until the bees had given up chasing us.

Samwise was in the back and got stung on the neck twice. I made it without any stings and Sweet As was in the lead and also made it without any stings.

I am really glad I didn't get stung again. I did find a detached stinger on my arm but not in my arm, it must have been from the bee I brushed of my arm.

We made it to the road and Terrie Anderson was there to pick up hikers and take them the 2 miles to her house. She was sporting a mohawk and guaranteed a great time at "Casa de Luna".

Casa de Luna is a bit more "loose" than the Saufleys. The Saufleys is very organized and you can get a lot of work done for resupplying, gear, mail, etc. Casa de Luna is basically just a party stop.

Terrie made some amazing taco salad for dinner. She makes it every night for hikers and it was perfect.

There are people who take multiple zero days here. Mostly for the atmosphere and to delay the next 220 miles of hot desert coming up. Our plan is to head out tomorrow. We will see what happens. The weather is supposed to cool down this week. We are happy about that.

1 comments: