Tuesday, May 29, 2012

34 Miles

I decided I was going to go for it. It would be my longest day, but I knew it would be worth it. Kennedy Meadows has a general store, but it closes at 5pm each day. So if I wanted to make the 34 miles worth it, I was going to have to start early, and hike very fast.

I set my alarm early, but it was just so cold. I planned on leaving around 4am, but didn't get going until 5am. Sweet As and Samwise were still sleeping so I looked like they were sticking to their 25 mile plan.

The day has 2 big climbs. Each one was over 2000ft of elevation gain.

After the first climb, there was a long downhill to a stream. Laying in the stream was a metal crate full of soda and beer. Trail Magic. The beverages were cold from sitting in the stream. I drank a Pepsi, but realized I couldn't stay long so I kept going. Taking a long break would threaten my chance of making it to Kennedy Meadows by 5pm. Ever since I woke up, the only thoughts in my head were which flavor of Ben and Jerry's I would get. I had to make it to the store.

The second climb immediately followed the stream. It was a bit longer than the first and the temperature was getting hot.

Once I reached the top of the climb, I had the most memorable moment of the entire trail so far...I could see the high peaks of the Sierras.


Right out in the distance were Mt. Langley and Mt. Whitney. I have climbed both multiple times, but by driving 6 hours by car to their trailheads. I have somehow walked to them. I'm not sure how.


From that point on it was all downhill and flat to Kennedy Meadows. It was super hot.

I kept looking at my watch, checking how many miles I had left, and deciding if I was going to make it. I realized I couldn't stop, or else no Ben and Jerry's. 30 miles in and I had an hour and a half to go 4 miles, plus a .7 mile road walk to the store. It was going to be close, but I normally walk 3 miles an hour, and at that moment I was probably walking fast than that.

At 4:40 I made it to the store. I bought a pint of Ben and Jerry's, Powerade, Hawaiian Punch, and a Pepsi. The store was cooking a dinner: tri-tip, baked potatoes, rolls, salad, with cake and ice cream for dessert. I had about 30 minutes until the dinner was served so I downed the Ben and Jerry's and drinks. The store also has an outdoor shower for $3. I took a shower and washed my clothes at the same time. When I got back to the store, dinner was served.


There is a trail angel in town, Tom. He has a trailer set up with a few computers in it, along with a few other trailers where hikers can sleep.

Another trail angel, Dr. Soul, is set up at Tom's place as well. He is called Dr. Soul because he works on everyone's feet. He was cooking up fried chicken tonight. He had 40 lbs of chicken and there are probably 15 hikers here at the moment.

I ate a lot of chicken.

During the cooking, Samwise and Sweet As showed up. Apparently they decided halfway through the day to just go for it too. They missed the store being open, but they also ate lots of chicken.

I had a resupply package that was supposed to show up today, but it looks like it was rescheduled for tomorrow. The UPS truck doesn't come until later in the day, so I may be taking a zero here, or possibly hike a few miles tomorrow night while I wait for my package.

I must now rest so I can continue eating as much food as possible tomorrow.


6 comments:

  1. This is getting good Dan! Nice to see you found some trail mates. Haven't heard Prudence or Brendan in a few posts. Are they still on the trail? Blogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I haven't heard from Prudence or Brendan in a while either. Neither of them have blogs. So I'm not sure where they are.

      Tough section coming up. I'm pumped.

      Delete
  2. May 31st- These are the most memorable and Best days!!!! Sounds great man. I am enjoying the ride (well, rather The Hike)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met your parents Saturday night at the Pardi’s and told them how much I like reading your bloug. You are moving fast. My son is about 400 mile behind you. Be safe and keep the blog going. Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm happy so many people are following me. It keeps me motivated to hike. Tell your son to look for Action in the trail registers so he can see if he is catching up to me.

      Delete