Saturday, May 12, 2012

Yep 32.5 miles today.

Brendan's 31 mile day made me jealous. So I figured today I would push myself to a 30+ day as well.

I started around 7:45am and I just kept going. I figured out how to make good miles...and that is to just not stop unless you totally have to. Getting snacks out of my backpack, putting on sunscreen, and reading the map are all done on the move. The only time I stopped today was one 20 minute break and to fill and treat my water.

32.5 miles later I made it to the deep creek hot springs at 6:45pm.

I am also developing the skill of carrying as little water as possible between sources. Water is super heavy, and if I can limit how much I carry, hiking will be that much easier. Basically I've been trying to bring enough water so that I have a half liter on me when I reach a source. When I get to the source, I finish what I have, then fill just enough to get to the next one.

I also use a technique called "camel up". This is basically drinking a lot of water at a source so you can carry less between the next one. So i will usually try to chug a liter at each source.

So far it has all worked well, I haven't run out of water or been super dehydrated yet.

Brendan and Nathan haven't reached here yet and I'm sure they did a shorter distance today. Ill probably see them soon though.

38 miles until I cross I-15 and hit the famous McDonald's there!

2 comments:

  1. You're doing great! I'll be following along, have a great hike! Wish I was out there, but I do get to do some weekend peak bagging... and I'm paying of my PCT debt and soon will be saving for the CDT.

    Happy trails and safe and adventurous journeying!
    Wandering Dot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wandering Dot! I actually followed your blog last year. Congrats on finishing. And good luck on the CDT when you do it!

      Dan

      Delete