Tuesday, May 01, 2012




24 miles

Today was another hot day. But we did it right this time. We woke up and were hiking by 5am. There was only one water source for this entire stretch which was at mile 91. So we had to hike 14 miles to get to it before the temperature got too hot.

I was making good time up the first climb. It eventually leveled out a bit and by 8am I had done 9 miles. At 10am I reached the water source, which was a cache. A cache is a collection of water put where natural water wouldn't be present. Someone drives hundreds of gallons of water to this spot every year. Without the cache, hikers would have to go the entire 24 hot exposed miles without anywhere to refill.


At the cache, we decided to wait for the temperature to cool off before heading the 10 miles to Barrel Spring. At about 3:30pm I headed down and got to Barrel Spring around 7:30. There I met up with all of the PCT'ers I saw earlier in the day and found out that a trail angel had left some sandwiches for everyone.

I've day hiked the next 9 miles into Warner Springs and it should be an easy hike. I will be resupplying there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment