Tuesday, August 07, 2012

39.5 miles

Longest day on trail!

For the first time on trail I saw a bear walking around the campground near Drakesbad. Then after about 4 miles I saw 2 bear cubs running away as I turned a corner.

The trail has definitely flattened out. Which made the distance much easier.

Today might have been the hottest day so far. Even in the trees, the temperature is in the high 90s.

I got to Old Station around 1pm. I got a turkey sandwich and a chocolate shake. There were a lot of hikers there so we all hung out the rest of the afternoon to stay out of the heat.

The next section of the trail is in a section called Hat Creek Rim. There is a stretch of 33 miles with no water. The trail is also completely exposed with little to no shade.

To beat this, most hikers hike at night. I had hiked 24 miles into Old Station, then around 5:30 I loaded up with 3 liters of water and headed back to trail.

On the way I stopped by Subway Cave. It was very chilly inside, which felt amazing after being in the crazy heat outside.

I hiked up the rim. Brendan was just ahead of me and I could see his light move along the trail about a mile ahead of me. Around 10:45pm we set up camp.


0 comments:

Post a Comment