Wednesday, August 22, 2012

37 miles.

I woke up early. It was 37 miles plus a 1 mile road walk to Mazama Village in Crater Lake National park. I get very motivated when I'm close to town and need to get there before the store or restaurant closes.

So I woke up at 5:45. I woke up Minor but he wasn't feeling the early start so he went back to sleep. I left camp around 6:15am.

The entire day I basically didn't stop hiking. The restaurant and store closed at 9. So I wanted to get dinner and my resupply box before it closed.

It wasn't too hot so I didn't have to take any breaks from the heat.

I was getting bored hiking by myself again. But I found an audio book of The Hunger Games and started listening to that around 11am. I listened to it all the way until about 5:30pm when my iPod battery died.

Luckily I was only a mile from the road at that point. I got to the road around 5:50, walked to the restaurant and was seated ordering food by 6:15pm.

I had walked 38 miles in 12 hours. That has to be my speed record for the trip so far.

I had an all you can eat salad bar and a burger.

I was hanging out with a PCT hiker named Jack Flash. We were sitting out front of the store talking to a young guy who was on a road trip before he starts school next week. He is camping at the campground by himself and offered us to stay at the site as well.

Minor is probably a couple miles from the road and I'll probably see him in the morning.

1 comments:

  1. Hi Dan!
    I'm in Portland and if you need a ride to get supplies or a meal or whatever, I'd be glad to assist. It would be great to finally meet one of the PCTers whose journals I've been following.

    ReplyDelete